- This event has passed.
North Miquelon – Miquelon Park (A85) to A86
April 16 @ 10:15 am – 3:00 pm MDT
Updated (2023-04-11): we did a second try of scouting on April 10 & while still some snow, overall the route was good –
- from the map on Pg. 71 of the guidebook, we’ll meet at the parking lot between the ‘park office’ & the trailhead at “A85”
- we’ll likely follow the old golf club road to the Group 7 Campground (“B”) or to where the trail turns down to the lake (“D”) rather than the trail along the lake from “A85”
- from “D” on the open areas are clear but the short sections through through trees still has some snow (400-500m total & still ~15cm of snow, should be less by hike day but poles would come in handy)
- we’ll have lunch at the new beaver pond near “A86”
- when scouting we spotted a herd of 5 white-tailed deer in the meadow by Erickson’s Culvert & a very tall female moose in Group 7 Campground
- depending how far we go along the old golf course road the hike will be 11-12km roundtrip
We’ll try to do an early spring hike at North Miquelon, start in Miquelon Provincial Park, going past some of the campsites, exit the park heading along an inlet off Miquelon Lake, past St F.X. Lookout & a new pond that cut through our trail. We’ll have lunch beside a pond at A86 and return along the same route, with a round trip of ~10km.
We’ll meet at the Miquelon Provincial Park office at 10:15 a.m… The hike will leave at 10:30, from the main parking lot. Unfortunately no spring or late fall) pictures, there ones are from August 7th, 2022.
If you are new to WTA hikes, then you should visit the Guided Hikes webpage for essential information. For further information specific to this hike, refer to The Waskahegan Trail Guide Book, pages 70-71, or contact the Hike Leaders, Helen W. (780-468-4331).
Here are the stories of previous hikes: