- This event has passed.
Snow Valley to John Janzen Nature Centre – Canceled
November 29, 2020 @ 10:15 am - 3:00 pm MST
The hike is cancelled on the basis of a clarification of the new provincial guidelines.
We’ll keep monitoring the situation, potentially rescheduling the hike for later in the season.
We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 status and will gradually restart our hikes, with some obvious protocol changes listed at the bottom.
The hike will leave from the Whitemud Creek Parking Lot (parking lot just before you go under the Whitemud Drive overpass towards the Snow Valley ski chalet) at about 10:30 a.m. The pictures from December 8th, 2019.
Participants may proceed there directly on their own, but should check the website prior to departure in case of a change (e.g., weather forecast, trail conditions, & an alternate hike scheduled).
If you are new to WTA hikes, then you should visit the Guided Hikes webpage for essential information. For further information specific to this hike, refer to The Waskahegan Trail Guide Book (pages 14-15) or contact the Hike Leader John S..
Initial protocol changes due to COVID-19:
- using public trails, in/near the city (not the WTA Trail as virtually all of the trail is on private land and we do not want to impact the landowners);
- meeting at the trailhead, no car pooling (so the start time reflects driving to the trailhead from the city rather than a 9am meeting point at Century Park or Belvedere Park & Ride);
- the hike leader will fill out all forms (e.g., signup sheet) & please use the online waver (to minimize what we all touch);
- Government of Alberta – Guidance on outdoor activities – from the November 24th provincial update: Unless enhanced measures are in effect in your region – public outdoor activities where people move freely and don’t gather (winter festivals) don’t have a limit but distancing should be maintained;
- recommending wearing a face mask (Government of Alberta – Guidance for wearing non-medical face masks);
- only attend if you are feeling well & comfortable being with the group.