- This event has passed.
Middle Battle River (A61 to A59E)
September 6, 2020 @ 9:45 am - 3:00 pm MDT
We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 status and will gradually restart our hikes, with some obvious protocol changes listed at the bottom.
A hike of varied terrain combining a section that we haven’t hiked in a while (‘Fidler Monument’ to A60) combined with the initial section of another one we do quite often (A60 to A59E is the first part of the Schnee Hill hike). We will start at A61-‘Fidler Monument’ at RR215A/Twp 461A (take Range Road 215 off Highway 13 and after ~5½km of twists & turns you will eventually see Battle River, a small bridge & just past the bridge will be a Canadian Flag flapping in the wind, that’s ‘The Peter Fidler Monument’) and keep the route in mind as on July 29th we also start here but go in the opposite direction.
Initially we’ll go in through the trees at A61 (Pg 51) to connect to the powerline trail, then descend to a farm road for a while, cut into the trees again, before following Battle River along the edge of a farm and finally a few more hills before lunch at the ‘site of former house’ (Pg 49) and returning on the same route after lunch. Check out pictures from “Battle River” (July 22nd, 2018).
We will depart trail head around 10 a.m. Participants should proceed there directly on their own, but should check the website prior to departure in case of a change (e.g., weather forecast, trail conditions).
If you are new to WTA hikes, then you should visit the Guided Hikes webpage for essential information. For further information specific to this hike, refer to The Waskahegan Trail Guide Book, pages 48-51, or contact the Hike Leader, JoAnne B & Lee S by email or call/text 780-232-0733.
Initial protocol changes due to COVID-19:
- using public trails, in/near the city (not the WTA Trail as virtually all of the trail is on private land and we do not want to impact the landowners);
- meeting at the trailhead, no car pooling (so the start time reflects driving to the trailhead from the city rather than a 9am meeting point at Century Park or Belvedere Park & Ride);
- the hike leader will fill out all forms (e.g., signup sheet) & please use the online waver (to minimize what we all touch);
- Government of Alberta – Guidance on outdoor activities;
- recommending wearing a face mask (Government of Alberta – Guidance for wearing non-medical face masks);
- only attend if you are feeling well & comfortable being with the group.