- This event has passed.
Whitemud Park to Hawrelak Park, via Laurier Park
July 5, 2020 @ 9:30 am - 3:00 pm MDT
We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 status and will gradually restart our hikes, with some obvious protocol changes listed at the bottom.
Due to all of the rain the intended hike from “Blackfoot Lake Staging” has been deferred until later in the year. Anita indicated that she was able to get a <5km loop in. (Updated July 2nd 19:45 MT)
In its place place we will do what should be a significantly dryer city trails hike from Whitemud Park to Hawrelak Park, via Laurier Park.
We will start from the Whitemud Park (River Valley Parking lot at the bottom of the hill near the trails, off Fox Drive at Keillor Road) at about 9:45 a.m.. The pictures from February 16th, 2020 (we typically do this one in February during the ‘Silver Skate Festival’).
The hike will leave from the parking lot at the Blackfoot Lake Staging Area at about 9:45 a.m. The pictures from October 27th, 2019. We anticipate going to the ‘Running Dog Shelter’ so ~15km round trip – trail map & conditions.
If you are new to WTA hikes, then you should visit the Guided Hikes webpage for essential information. For further information specific to this hike, refer to The Waskahegan Trail Guide Book (pages 14-15
88-89), or contact the Hike Leader Anita P. by email or call 780-524-9817.
Initial protocol changes due to COVID-19:
- using public trails, in/near the city (not the WTA Trail as virtually all of the trail is on private land and we do not want to impact the landowners);
- meeting at the trailhead, no car pooling (so the start time reflects driving to the trailhead from the city rather than a 9am meeting point at Century Park or Belvedere Park & Ride);
- the hike leader will fill out all forms (e.g., signup sheet) & please use the online waver (to minimize what we all touch);
- Government of Alberta – Guidance on outdoor activities;
- recommending wearing a face mask (Government of Alberta – Guidance for wearing non-medical face masks);
- only attend if you are feeling well & comfortable being with the group.