- This event has passed.
Devon Ravine Trails – Postponed
February 7 @ 10:15 am - 3:00 pm MST
We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 status and will gradually restart our hikes, with some obvious protocol changes listed at the bottom.
We are taking the queue from the cancellation of this years Birkie to suspend our hikes until at least the spring – COVID-19 forces Birkie cancellation. The trail system around Edmonton is still open, so everyone can get out on them on their own but we are currently reluctant to proceed with group events. We will continue follow the guidance from the province, once we feel it is safe to resume group activities and have a sufficient level of hikes/hike leaders to proceed we will update the schedule.
It is a nice 9¾km hike through Devon & every time we seem to do a hike there the trail has improved. Pictures from January 5th, 2020.
The hike will leave from the parking lot at the Lion’s Campground at about 10:30 a.m., going through the ravine, taking a few city trails to Centennial Park (also referred to as “Spray Park” on some Devon maps) for an outdoor lunch at the gazebo and then the trails back to the Lion’s Campground.
Participants should proceed there directly on their own, but should check the website prior to departure in case of a change (e.g., weather forecast, trail conditions).
If you are new to WTA hikes, then you should visit the Guided Hikes webpage for essential information. For further information specific to this hike, refer to The Waskahegan Trail Guide Book, pages 118-119, or contact the Hike Leader, or contact the Hike Leader, JoAnne B. & Lee S. via e-mail (email@example.com) or phone (780-487-0645).
Protocol changes due to COVID-19:
- Government of Alberta – Guidance on outdoor activities – Effective Monday, January 18, some provincewide restrictions were eased:
- Outdoor social gatherings are allowed up to 10 people (Indoor gatherings remain prohibited).
- Outdoor recreation amenities can be open to public access unless specifically closed by public health order (Examples of these amenities include, but are not limited to, outdoor skating rinks, sledding hills, Nordic ski areas, ice or glacier walks, hiking trails and golf courses for cross-country ski access).
- Wearing a face mask (Government of Alberta – Guidance for wearing non-medical face masks) – we will be using the guidance of Alberta Health Services and Nordiq Alberta for the Birkebeiner:
- During the ‘meet & greet’ parts of the hike (getting out of car to start of hike, milling around the parking lot, including the hike instructions/introductions period and in the parking lot at the end of the hike) you must wear a mask.
- While on the hike participants are encouraged to wear masks, but it is not mandatory.
- Only attend if you are feeling well & comfortable being with the group.
- We will be using public trails, in/near the city (not the WTA Trail as virtually all of the WTA trail is on private land and we do not want to impact the landowners).
- There will be NO indoor activity during any phase of the hike, including rest breaks & lunch, so all hikes during the winter period will be listed at “Tentative” pending the forecast. As we get close to the hike date the hike leader & hike coordinator will assess the forecast & determine how to proceed:
- If the forecasted high temperature (with wind chill) is not warmer -20° during all of the hike hours the hike will automatically be canceled (no exceptions).
- Otherwise the hike leader & hike coordinator will assess if it should proceed.
- Once a hike is canceled, changes to the forecast will not result it being reinstated. However, a hike that was scheduled to proceed may still be canceled – so check the web site for updates.
- We will be meeting at the trailhead, there will be no organized transportation as part of the hike:
- The start time reflects the typical driving time to the trailhead from the city rather than the meeting point of Century Park or Belvedere Park & Ride.
- Participants can still choose to organize their own car pooling.
- The hike leader will fill out all forms (signup sheet) & please use the online waver (to minimize what we all touch).